A bunch of huge custom mansions were built in recent years in River North on Kingsbury and Huron. The area apparently calls itself “Kingsbury Park.”
They were in the news last summer after Miami Heat NBA player Antoine Walker was robbed at gunpoint in his home on the block. From the Chicago Tribune:
A source close to the Walker family said the former Mt. Carmel High School basketball star, a 6-foot-9-inch forward for the Miami Heat, was tied up with duct tape by masked intruders and robbed of jewelry, cash and his black Mercedes.
Chicago police recovered the Mercedes — minus its wheels — on Tuesday but declined to confirm other details of the investigation.
The source told the Chicago Tribune on Tuesday that two intruders wearing masks and covering their eyes entered through the garage at Walker’s home Monday evening. One held a weapon, likely a small handgun, to Walker’s head.
“He acted as if he knew Antoine and was talking to him about knowing the consequences of the robbery,’’ the source said.
The intruders ordered Walker into his house, where they wrapped duct tape around his ankles and wrists. Walker was able to extricate himself from the duct tape after the robbery.
The Tribune article also states that several of the homeowners employ private security guards to “sit behind their brick edifices and monitor suspicious onlookers.”
Apparently, Mr. Walker started packing up to move the very next day and no longer lives on the block.
But the publicity couldn’t have been good for other homes for sale on that street. (Thanks to the tipster who alerted me to the market time and reduction on the Kingsbury house.)
Take 701 N. Kingsbury, a 9000 square foot mansion with four terraces and a roofdeck. It sits on a corner lot at the end of the block.
It’s been on the market since 2006 and has had several price reductions. It was recently reduced another million.
701 N. Kingsbury: 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, 4 half-baths, 9000 square feet, 3 car heated garage
- Sold in December 2003 for $3,773,500
- Originally listed in November 2006 for $5.495 million
- Reduced to $4.995 million and stayed on the market throughout 2007
- Withdrawn from the market in December 2007
- Re-listed in December 2007 at $3.995 million
- Currently listed for $3.995 million
- Century 21 M.B. Real Estate has the listing
Two smaller homes are also on the market.
450 W. Huron’s listing states:
VERY MOTIVATED SELLER !!! FAB 7200 SQFT, 6BR, 6.2 BA HOME W/ THE WORKS!
450 W. Huron: 6 bedrooms, 6 baths, 2 half-baths, 2.5 car garage
- Sold in September 2004 for $3.4 million
- Currently listed for $3.9 million
- Prudential Preferred has the listing
432 W. Huron: 4 bedrooms, 4 baths, 1 half-bath, 2 car garage
- I couldn’t find a prior sale- from the developer?
- Currently listed for $3.3 million
- Coldwell Banker has the listing